We arrived to the hospital on March 6, 2015 at 10:30 am. We waited around forever because there was an emergency and so my time slot was moved back. The woman who had the emergency went into labor very early, I guess (Jon Mark overheard her husband in the recovery room). Her baby was okay. Anyway, we waited and I tried to stay calm. I didn't want to be slipped the forgetting potion that they give to mothers who appear to be very anxious. I was given that last time and could remember everything except for holding Hannah in the recovery room. That part has left my memory for good. I didn't want that again.
When they finally wheeled me back, I was given a spinal without Jon Mark present, they don't let the husbands see this portion. Then, they got to work. There were a lot of staff in the operating room. I thought that there was no way that they would have started cutting me open because Jon Mark wasn't called back into the operating room yet. So, I glanced up and caught the reflection in the chrome of them performing surgery. I could see it as though I was looking in a mirror. It was about that time when my doctor asked if anybody had told my husband to come back in. So they paused and got Jon Mark. He was in there not too long before they pulled little Caleb out.
Caleb was so tiny to me. Weighing only 7 lbs 14 oz, he was my smallest baby. I said so, and the nurse said, "well, I wouldn't say he is exactly tiny." I guess 7.14 is still pretty average.
I started to feel a lot of pressure in my sternum, so the doctor gave me some medicine that made the room spin, and I really wanted to fall asleep. I just closed my eyes long enough for them to stitch me up (I glanced upward and saw me completely open in the abdomen because I thought that they had already stitched me up because Jon Mark was no longer with me--he had taken the baby to the recovery room). I went into the recovery room and enjoyed some skin to skin contact with my baby, something I absolutely love, and nursed him. He was a great nurser from the beginning. I never got sore or really engorged (except for one time on the day that he got circumcised because he slept through his feedings). Feeding him is so easy.
I think everyone who sees Caleb will agree that he looks so much like Luke. Jon Mark and I keep calling him Luke on accident.
In keeping with tradition, here is Caleb's birth song (a short little ditty to the tune of Scripture Power):
Caleb Jon, is my other boy.
Caleb Jon, brings me so much joy.
Caleb Jon, everyday I need,
My Caleb Jon McAvoy with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment