Monday, October 27, 2014

Accountable

This is just a funny little story.

The other day Joshua told me that his teacher had a sign on her desk that was just plain wrong and that it needed to be taken down.

I braced myself, because earlier that day I became aware that Mercedes had been taught the family unit at school and one of the pictures she brought home appeared to have two dads.  But, I think it went over her head because she told me that one man was the dad and one was the older brother and the others were the younger brothers and sisters and she guessed that the mom had died.  She didn't know why there wasn't a mommy in that picture.  Oh my goodness!  Anyway, back to the funny Joshua story. 

I braced myself and asked him what the sign was that he was so concerned about.  He said, "Mom, it says you are accountable and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise."  I asked him what his objection to the sign was.  I was confused.

He said, "I am not accountable.  I am only accountable when I turn 8.  Until then, I am not accountable."

I explained to him that the teacher's message was that everyone is responsible for their actions and people need to own that responsibility.  I chuckled a little, too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment