Sunday, February 3, 2019

Fast Sunday

Today we had fast and testimony mtg.

I bore my testimony about the new Come Follow Me curriculum that was implemented this January. I really do feel it is an answer to my prayers. I had been wanting to do more consistent scripture study with the kids but struggled. Usually our scripture study was me playing my scriptures over bluetooth in my van on the drive to school or a quick spiritual thought before school. I did pretty good, however I thought there was room for improvement because the topics were all over the place and I struggled putting a lot of thought into it. Come Follow Me is all layed out for me. It breaks down the topics, it has scripture references, supportive videos and songs, and it asks thoughtful questions. I know everyone has their own way of doing it, but for our family, I break it down into small scripture chunks/topics and we discuss the one or two scriptures and answer questions. Super easy, super good, and I've been diligent. Jon Mark helps the kids understand the spirit behind the scripture and I explain the scripture and ask questions. We keep it short, usually 10 minutes before evening family prayer, but those ten minutes are really good. My kids come up with some amazing insights and questions and I can feel the spirit in my home.

The other night, Luke and Mercedes got really hung up on the fact that there is no beginning or end to eternity, that we have always existed and it is one eternal round. They were quite troubled because they didn't understand. Jon Mark said that when we don't understand, we can be like Nephi and have faith. When the angel came to him and asked him whether or not he understood the condescension of God, Nephi replied that he didn't know the meaning of all things, nevertheless he knew that God loves His children. When the kids heard that, they also understood. It is not required of them to know everything, a lot of things take time and faith, and sometimes they will have to put their questions on a spiritual shelf and continue in faith. They also knew that Heavenly Father loves them, and that He won't lead them astray. This was a wonderful teaching opportunity for them. Luke said that a testimony is building your faith up a little at a time kind of like a ladder. Mercedes agreed and both of them said that they felt the spirit. Jon Mark does a good job pointing out to the children times in which they feel the spirit so that they can remember and recognize that feeling. He says that throughout our lives we will experience peaks and valleys and in those valleys when our faith is being tried, it is important to remember the times in which the Spirit bore testimony to them of the truth. I love that he does that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment