Wednesday, June 16, 2021

A View From Mid-Way Up 3

 For my third installment, I thought I'd talk about home centered-church supported gospel learning.

#21 Find those spiritual moments throughout the day and thank Heavenly Father for opening your eyes to see them. Spiritual moments are all around us if we take the time to ponder. I don't like going very long in between my spiritual moments. The line in the song "More Holiness Give Me" where it says "more longing for home", yeah, I get that. I long for spiritual experiences, and if I go too long in between those moments, I find myself yearning for a hug from my Heavenly Father. I find that if I recognize His hand in all things, then I can spiritually see and feel His hands stretched out in front of me. 

    I like to say that I am highly favored of the Lord. I know that saying such things can make people feel uneasy, like I am being boastful or prideful... I'm not feeling pride at all when I say that. The feeling I am expressing is one of awe, and actually one of humility--because, I, lowly Ralae McAvoy, am so loved by the God of the Universe that He helps me in the biggest of ways right down to the very smallest of ways. He has never, ever let me down before and He has always had my back--through everything. So, yes, I can confidently say that I am highly favored of the Lord because I feel it to my very bones. To deny it would be an insult to my Heavenly Father and to Jesus Christ. But, just because I am highly favored of the Lord doesn't mean that others are not. He loves all of His children and I hope that others can confidently say, like me (and Nephi), that they are highly favored of the Lord. Sometimes it takes practice to see His love. But, I promise you that if you can make it a daily exercise, it will become more natural and instead of a daily exercise it can become a moment by moment exercise. The Lord wishes to bless us. I can attest that He knows all of my hopes, my dreams, my wishes and heartaches. He also knows what's on my Amazon wish list. 

 #22 Participate in whole-body exercise. I am a huge believer that exercising my physical body also exercises my mental and emotional state (endurance) and it can certainly exercise my spiritual state. I like to ponder and listen to conference talks when I exercise. I feel that this combination offers the most complete benefit for my entire body. Try it, you may like the benefit of whole body exercise too. 

    I have had many spiritual moments when I am working out. I've recounted them on this blog many times. I have felt strength and support from my grandparents on the other side of the veil. I have had thoughts, or answers, come so completely to me about questions that I have had circulating around in my head. I have felt the presence of the Holy Ghost. 

#23 Consistent scripture study, do it. I learned a long time ago that my kids don't get a lot from reading a chapter together from the scriptures early in the morning. Maybe that works for other families. I found that it didn't work for mine. I beat myself up about it for years. Then, the church came out with Come Follow Me. This program was an answer to prayer. Everything is laid out for you, you can go at your own pace. Some families may do it for an hour, others maybe a half hour, ours lasts for about 5-10 minutes most nights, but we are consistent. We read a few verses of scripture, we discuss it. Sometimes that's all that happens, but other times something really neat and special happens. Sometimes the kids have questions or valuable insights and we end up having a really good family discussion on important matters that pertain to these latter days. I feel as though consistent family scripture study arms my children with power from heaven. 

#24 Play spiritual songs in your home as often as possible. The spiritual songs that the church uses nowadays, and that are available so readily, teach gospel truths. Spiritual music, sacred music, it fills the home with a sweet, reverent spirit. They help the children feel the power of the Holy Ghost and they set a tone in a way that only music uniquely does. I play sacred music all throughout the week.

#25 This one may be controversial. I'm not sure. Teach your kids to fast to their ability. Our rule is, when the child turns 8 they will start to fast for one meal. When the child turns 12, they are encouraged to fast for two meals. However, they are only to fast for as long as they can have a good attitude about it. We encourage fasting for the full time, but we tell them that if they whine and complain then they are missing the point of fasting. We tell them to offer the Lord what they feel they can do, and to pray that their offering is enough. Gradually they increase their fasting length. 

#26 Buy The Lamb of God music and listen to it. That's all.

#27 Find spiritual moments throughout the day and teach your children through those genuine, organic moments that present themselves. I went hiking up Flat Iron with my older kids and my dad recently. I had carried two back packs because Luke was complaining about the extra weight. When the trail got steeper, Joshua took both back packs from me and carried them without making a fuss to lighten my load. Eventually, like an hour or so later, Luke finally noticed. He pointed out that Joshua was carrying his load and my load. This presented as an opportunity, so I said something along the lines of, "that's what Jesus does for us. Just like your older brother willingly took your load and carried it because he knew that the hike was a difficult hike for you, your other older brother takes our load on His ever capable shoulders and helps make our burdens lighter. His yoke is easy and His burden in light". That moment was a powerful moment. 

#28 Serve in church willingly and give it your all. Until you serve in a leadership position, you may not realize how much others are counting on you to fulfill your calling and magnify your calling. Get involved. Find your own subs. Help make the youth and primary program successful, fun, and spiritually edifying. Be reliable. Get to know your class outside of church. Reach out and lift up. Don't turn down callings. Use uncomfortable callings as an experience to help you grow and learn.

#29 "Brush your teeth, say your prayers, read your scriptures, go to bed". That is the chant we say with our children every night at bedtime. They know the chant well. Simplify the bedtime routine, do what is good for you. I used to spend SO much time putting the kids to bed. It became a very long process. I would get frustrated and tired. So, one day I simplified it to the chant. We do Come Follow Me, say prayers, and then we chant the chant and Jon Mark and I go on a walk. The kids pretty much put themselves to bed now. I'll always cherish the tucking ins and laybys but as life progressed, it just wasn't working anymore. So, enjoy those slower nights with young children while you can, but when it isn't working anymore, simplify.

#30 Teach your children what it feels like to feel the spirit, present opportunities for them to feel the spirit often, and then encourage them to remember what they felt and to hold onto that feeling for times when maybe they feel heaven is more distant. Everyone hears and feels the spirit differently. Help them discover how they feel the spirit. "Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Take my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above." I think we all understand what it feels like to feel heaven so close and powerfully that you see the way so clearly. In those moments you can't imagine ever sinning again because you see the plan so clearly and fully. But, the moment fades and life happens, and eventually you make mistakes again. If only the Lord could take your heart right then and seal it so that you wouldn't be able to wander from Him again. I find that wandering is less frequent if we take the time to recognize how we feel the spirit, and then remember what that felt like so that when we feel persuaded to wander, we won't, because our testimonies are firmly planted and our hearts are sealed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment