Sunday, June 23, 2019

Mercedes Updates

Mercedes had a great time playing soccer this Spring. She showed great motivation and even though it was hot, most days she gave it her all. Her coaches fed her pizza and soda on their last practice together and Mer got quite a belly ache. She didn't want to quit, however, but when it became clear that running just wasn't going to be able to happen, she sadly told her team goodbye and went home with me.

Mercedes has a tender heart, and unlike Joshua, her emotions are always near the surface. We celebrated Gavin's life with his annual birthday party. She cried and cried because she wonders how things would be if he was alive. She mourns the could have beens. She also cried quite a bit when Jax left with Kevin to go home to Utah after visiting for a week. She really took a liking to Jax and really followed him around keeping him safe and playing with him. I think on some level she recognizes that the period of time in between visits changes things. He will always have to warm up to her all over again.

Today she was sad because it was our last day in our ward. We move this weekend into our new house and goodbyes are difficult. She is especially sad that we will be out of my parents ward and Nick and Bethany's ward. She enjoys sitting in between my parents every Sunday and having that special time with them.

Mer is a very attentive girl when it comes to safety and rule following. She has a keen sense of responsibility. The other day, there were many nieces and nephews in the pool. One of the younger ones jumped in and was floating face down in the water. The adults didn't notice until I saw Mer trying to swim holding the toddler above her head on his back. She made it to the side and pushed him out over the edge to safety. I asked her about it and she said, "I saw him floating face down and thought, he doesn't know how to swim, I should save him." It wasn't very long. And, the adults were only momentarily distracted, I hope I would have turned around and seen it right away, but Mer acted so fast and possibly saved his life. That's my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment