Sunday, June 5, 2016

Scripture Study: Revelation

Sometimes it's nice to record some of my thoughts regarding the scriptures on this blog. I want my posterity to know that I had a testimony, and maybe somewhere along the line, my thoughts will be of benefit, even if it is just to benefit myself.

As recorded previously, I'm studying a little bit more about revelation and the pre-mortal realm.

Upon thinking of these two topics, my mind is drawn to the song, I Am A Child of God. It's an important song. We learn simple truths about whose children we are. We are sons and daughters of God. He loves us. It's no wonder why we were sent to earth to live within the structure of family, because the family structure offers true experiences of loving as He loves. There is much growth that occurs upon having children. Suddenly, a world that was selfish must turn outward and evolve into one that is selfless. The lyrics, lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way, teach me all that I must do to live with him someday, are sung from a child's perspective, addressed to his/her parents, in almost a pleading fashion. It is our job as parents to lead and guide.

The parent-child relationship is unique in the sense that it teaches me so much about the love our Father in Heaven has for His children. I think of the love I have for my children, and I know that His perfect love is full and complete not only for my children, but for my husband and myself, for all of humankind. It's recorded somewhere, but I'll record it again here, a moment that I had with my son, Luke, that really opened my eyes.

Luke was a toddler and he was upset with me because he was thirsty and wanted a drink. He had communicated as much to me, and then proceeded to throw a very big tantrum. I knew what he wanted, and I was helping him get what he wanted, but I was not able to move as quickly as he wanted me to. As I fumbled around the kitchen, searching for sippy cup lids and the actual sippy-cup, his cries grew louder. I got down on my knees and looked him in the eye and said, "I got this, trust me, have I ever let you down before? I know what you need and I'm helping you, but you need to be patient." It was then that I had a moment where the spirit taught me something. How many times have I cried out to my Heavenly Father and perhaps stressed and worried about a particular problem (throwing my own little grown-up tantrum) and doubted in His ability to help me? The spirit taught me in that moment to trust Him. He is aware of me and whatever trial I may be facing. I am His daughter. He's never let me down before, and He will never let me down. I need to trust Him and be patient.

In my life, I have clearly, and very fully felt the teaching power of the Holy Spirit. In those moments, I have felt Heaven so close. The spirit filled my breast and the love of our Heavenly Father was so tangible. It all became so clear to me. I was seeing with my spiritual eyes. I thought to myself how easy it would be to never sin again if only I could always feel as I felt then. The love and compassion I felt for my fellow man was more sincere because I saw them as part of my eternal family. My desire to always walk in light and truth was made even stronger. My relationship with my Savior felt even more personable and real. It was truly divine. It was as though Heaven was in my room and I was surrounded by angels. In those moments, revelation enlightened my mind.

About a week ago, I was praying for further knowledge regarding the plan of salvation, more specifically the pre-mortal realm. I pleaded with my Heavenly Father to teach me, I told Him that I was ready to learn. That familiar primary song popped into my head and I began to recite the chorus in my mind as I prayed. Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do, to live with Thee someday. Suddenly, I realized what I had done. Without really thinking about it, I had changed the perspective of the song. I was His child. I was pleading with my Heavenly parent to guide me and teach me. It's what I yearn for. It's what I need. The parent-child relationship with my Heavenly parents became clearer. He was teaching me, through the spirit. He is our mentor. And He hasn't left us alone to figure it out on our own. He is there. This experience was further enriched today as I read the first presidency's message today.

Elder Uchtdorf wrote the first presidency's message this month, and it was all about our Heavenly Father's mentoring relationship with His children. He relates our earthly relationships with our own children to our Heavenly Father's relationship with us. He says, 

"Fathers mentor their precious children and show by their good example the way an honest life is lived. Fathers do not leave their children alone but rush to their aid, helping them to their feet whenever they stumble. And sometimes when wisdom suggests, fathers allow their children to struggle, realizing that this may be the best way for them to learn...

Fortunately, our Heavenly Father has given us wonderful instructions for structuring our lives and putting together our best selves. Those instructions work regardless of our age or circumstance. He has given us the gospel and the Church of Jesus Christ. He has given us the plan of redemption, the plan of salvation, even the plan of happiness. He has not left us alone with all the uncertainties or challenges of life, saying, “Here you go. Good luck. Figure it out.”
If we will only be patient and look with a humble heart and an open mind, we will find that God has given us many tools to better understand His comprehensive instructions for our happiness in life:
  • He has given us the priceless gift of the Holy Ghost, which has the potential to be our personal, heavenly tutor as we study the word of God and attempt to bring our thoughts and actions into alignment with His word.
    He has given us 24/7 access to Him through prayers of faith and supplications of real intent.
    He has given us modern-day apostles and prophets, who reveal the word of God in our day and have the authority to bind or seal on earth and in heaven.
    He has restored His Church—an organization of believers who work together to help one another as they work out their salvation with fear, trembling, and unparalleled joy.1He has given us the holy scriptures—His written word to us.
    He has given myriad tools of modern technology to help us in our walk of discipleship. Many of these marvelous instruments can be found at LDS.org.

Why has our Heavenly Father given us so much help? Because He loves us. And because, as He said of Himself, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.”2
In other words, Heavenly Father is our God, and God is a mentor to us.
Our Father in Heaven knows His children’s needs better than anyone else. It is His work and glory to help us at every turn, giving us marvelous temporal and spiritual resources to help us on our path to return to Him."
I loved reading that. It seemed to perfectly coincide with the experience I had the other day as I prayed. So, next time you think of the song, "I Am A Child of God" perhaps try changing the perspective on the chorus, and see if it becomes a little more real whose child you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment