Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day By Day

Recently, my dad and mom discovered a song that they want to use as our extended Haws family anthem. The song is one that I have never heard before, and today I tried finding it on the internet, and the words are very different from the version my dad is using (although the author is the same--Karolina "Lina" Sandell-Berg). I wanted an easy "copy and paste" action, but that isn't going to happen. I wonder if my dad knows where he got his lyrics from.

I really like the tune of it, and the words are beautiful. The author, known as Lina to her friends, wrote this hymn after she had experienced a great tragedy in her life. At 26 years old, she was crossing a lake in Sweden when the boat she was on gave a sudden lurch and her father fell off in front of her and drowned. She is said to have believed, like other Christians, that in moments of darkness, pain, and trial, the Lord uses those moments to build faith in Him. So, staying true to this belief, she penned many hymns that are meant to be sung in times of trial, like this one.

Here is the song, Day by Day, the version that is attributed to Lina, and the version that my dad is using.

Let me live in moment after moment, let me truly trust thee day by day. Let me not forget Thou art my Father. Let me live by every word Thou sayest. Every trial Thou hast for me constructed, and hast given me the strength I need. Even when I cannot see tomorrow, may I pay Thy counsel every heed.

I will walk the way Thou hast commanded, even when the way is dark ahead. When I fear, and when my spirit weakens I will trust in all that Thou hast said. I will praise Thee for Thy loving kindness, I will surely place my hand in Thine. I will not be worried for tomorrow, for I know that all Thou hast in mine.

Day by day I feel my spirit strengthen, so that I can help my fellow man. Let me see another's pain and sorrow so that I may help as best I can. May I keep my hand in Thine my Father, may I take each step with trust in Thee. May I keep each one of Thy commandments, that in Heaven Thou canst welcome me.

We have sung this song a few times now, and it was okay, but last night felt very different. I think it was because we were singing it with all of our kids with us. It was a moment of reverence. I don't think anybody noticed, but I did feel a surge of the spirit as we sang it. For a moment, I looked around me and I saw people that I love sitting in my comfortable home, surrounded by modest luxuries of our day (i.e. air conditioning/heating, electricity, plush couches, indoor plumbing and technology). We sang a song about maintaining faith in the face of darkness and chaos. We sang about placing our trust in our Heavenly Father when the way in unknown. We sang about placing our hand in His, just as a child might do so to be led by his father.

So, as I looked around me, suddenly I could see, rather feel, how committed I was to the gospel. For a moment or two, I saw my family sitting close to one another and singing the same song, and yet our surroundings were starkly different. We weren't in a comfortable home, this time we were singing while being surrounded by desolation and destruction. All around us there was darkness and mourning. "Fire" was raining down from the sky, although I am not sure if it was bombings or meteors. We weren't afraid, we were at peace. It seemed as though the time was at hand that had been so prophesied about. The "great and dreadful" day of the Lord was near. But, we were at peace because of where we had placed our faith and our trust. Our hands were placed in His, His ever capable, ever guiding and loving hands. I felt this for a moment while we sang, and I wasn't sure of the meaning of it. I am not about to pretend that I beheld a vision. It wasn't visual, it was more of a feeling that impressed such thoughts upon my mind for a moment or two. But, it did leave a lasting impression upon me to stir me up into asking about what it meant. Would it happen as I had seen it? Was it literal? Or was it just a thought that didn't necessarily mean anything?

Today I have been studying the second coming and the events leading up to it. We know that destruction will occur, we know that the whole earth will be in chaos. We see it all around us, even now it is at our doors. We haven't seen the worst that the wicked will face, just as we haven't seen the best that is yet to be for the righteous. But, it certainly feels as though the scenes are winding up. The pieces have been placed on the board and all is beginning to move in motion. Prophesies are coming to pass. It is happening. I have come to the conclusion that I don't know if what I saw/felt was literal or not. But, I think what I was supposed to gain from the experience is that no matter what happens in the future, all will be okay for the righteous. We need to place our hands in His and trust in Him always. Wars may abound, and the mighty may fall, but if we proceed with faith and courage, all that He has will be ours.  

D&C 43:25 How oft have I called upon you by the mouth of my servants, and by the ministering of angels, and by mine own voice, and by the voice of thunderings, and by the voice of lightnings, and by the voice of tempests, and by the voice of earthquakes, and great hailstorms, and by the voice of famines and pestilences of every kind, and by the great sound of a trump, and by the voice of judgment, and by the voice of mercy all the day long, and by the voice of glory and honor and the riches of eternal life, and would have saved you with an everlasting salvation, but ye would not!
 26 Behold, the day has come, when the cup of the wrath of mine indignation is full.
 27 Behold, verily I say unto you, that these are the words of the Lord your God.
 28 Wherefore, labor ye, labor ye in my vineyard for the last time—for the last time call upon the inhabitants of the earth.
 29 For in mine own due time will I come upon the earth in judgment, and my people shall be redeemed and shall reign with me on earth.
 30 For the great Millennium, of which I have spoken by the mouth of my servants, shall come.
 31 For Satan shall be bound, and when he is loosed again he shall only reign for a little season, and then cometh the end of the earth.
 32 And he that liveth in righteousness shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye, and the earth shall pass away so as by fire.
 33 And the wicked shall go away into unquenchable fire, and their end no man knoweth on earth, nor ever shall know, until they come before me in judgment.
 34 Hearken ye to these words. Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. Treasure these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds.
 35 Be sober. Keep all my commandments. Even so. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment