My friend's husband passed away from cancer the other day. He was a huge motorcycle fan and at his funeral, 67 motocyclists led the procession.
These pictures were my attempt to capture them. Leyla rode on a motorcycle behind the hearse that was also pulled by a motorcycle. They were calling it, Andy's last ride.
The funeral, and the events leading up to the funeral, were both inspiring and sad. He died of cancer, but he wanted everyone to know that cancer was a blessing to his family. He felt the love of his Savior so deeply through the trial, and the trial gave him the opportunity to live like he was dying.
I feel so much for his wife, and their two children. Such a trial is one that I hope I will not ever have to endure. But, their experience taught me so much about trials. If we accept the Lord's will with grace and humility, the Lord will yoke Himself to us and help us carry the burden. We will feel His love for us more deeply, and we will begin to see with our spiritual eyes the truths of eternity. Leyla and Andy lived the last two years with grace. They allowed this trial to change them and mold them to be more like our Savior. They were strengthened through Christ.
I cried so much at the funeral. I barely held it together at certain points. I know Andy is watching over Leyla and their children, and I know our loved ones are nearer to us than we know. I am thankful for the priesthood power that seals families together forever.
As I was pondering over the loss of Andy, a certain scripture kept coming to my mind. I am not a scripture scholar, I hope that my application here is appropriate. And, I hope it makes sense.
John 15:12-13
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
The first verse is a commandment to love one another, even as the Lord has loved us. When we love others, they are more receptive to what we have to share about the gospel. Then, in the second verse, we are taught that the greatest love we can show is to lay down our very lives for our friends. Jesus literally laid down His life for us, because He loved us. Andy's graduation from mortality was not his choosing, but he accepted the Lord's will so completely. He gave his life to Jesus Christ. At the funeral, there were many "typical" LDS persons in attendance. But there were others there too, who, by appearance, appeared to not be of our faith. Yet, they were there, partaking of the spirit that filled that room. Their love for Andy, and Andy's love for them, brought them to the chapel where they were able to hear testimonies of those left behind about matters concerning eternity.
Through dying, Andy brought many to the knowledge of the gospel. His death changed lives, people came back to the fold of God. Like the prodigal son, they were lost and now they are found because of the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Andy testified, so strongly of the goodness of God. Of eternal families. Of temples. Of the love of Christ. I know for a fact that his brother in law, mother in law, and father in law, came back to the church because of the spirit that they felt as they watched him go through cancer. It was the spirit of the Holy Ghost that converted them. Because Andy accepted the Lord's will, his trial became a tool that the Lord used to change so many people. I hope I can go through my own trials with such grace. Does that make sense?
No comments:
Post a Comment