Jon Mark gave us all blessings for the new year. I noticed that the kids were all blessed to be good examples and missionaries. That they'd be brave and kind, to love and serve their friends and bear testimony to them. This seemed to be a common theme amongst each blessing. It was a sweet experience. Jon Mark doesn't ever really remember what he says in the blessings, but I try to jot down a few notes right after. I find it interesting that Caleb has been given blessings all throughout his life with some similar phrases or themes. When he was given a name and a blessing as an infant, he was blessed that he would help his brothers and sisters be brave as the events of the second coming unfolded. He was blessed to have courage. In this most recent blessing, Jon Mark blessed him that he would be the lynch pin to our family, that he will help keep his siblings close in bonds of friendship and that they will look to him. I found that interesting. He is a special kid and we love that he is at the tail end of our family, it's a special and endearing place to be.
I was blessed with spiritual strength to overcome trials that present this year. I was blessed with physical strength to carry my burdens and to find joy in watching my children grow. I was told that that joy will penetrate me in ways that I've never felt before and that it will overpower me. I was blessed to be patient and long suffering to those I meet and my family, that I'll treat them with kindness and see them as Heavenly Father's children. And, finally, I was blessed to be a source of strength to my husband and to bear him up.
Lately, I have been very aware of how many blessings the Lord has given me. To say that my heart is full is an understatement. I felt, for a short time, that the adversary was using my blessings against me. Putting thoughts in my head that I was undeserving and that I'd never be able to reach my potential because I have been given so much so I surely must fall short. I came to the conclusion that I will fall short, and I do fall short. But, thankfully I have a Savior who can make up what I lack after all I can do. The Lord wants to bless us, even if we feel we are undeserving of all of the goodness that is given by His hand. He loves us and wants to bless our lives. He has truly blessed mine! I cannot begin to number my blessings. I want to live up to my potential and be as good as I can be.
I have been praying for missionary experiences and then one fell into my lap at Walmart. I was with my kids in the toy section and I called out their names. A lady stopped me and said that she also had named two of her kids Caleb and Hannah. She was pleased that I had named most of my kids after biblical figures. We had a short, pleasant conversation about it. I started to walk on my way when she stopped me and asked me if I was LDS. I told her that I was and she said that she was surprised when LDS people named their children bible names. I was then able to tell her that we did believe in the bible. And, that in fact, our Sunday Schools are studying the bible in depth this year. She seemed pleased and surprised. That's where the conversation ended, and I hope I said all that I needed to for that time, but at least she now knows that members of the Lord's restored church do believe in the bible. It happened at a great time because we had been talking in our family about how bearing testimony to others doesn't always have to be formal, but that our examples and interactions stand as a testimony of what we know to be true, if we let it. It was a great teaching opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment