I just wrote about some of my thoughts involving the third member of the Godhead. The Holy Ghost has blessed my life greatly. As I grow older, I can see more clearly the times in which my life had been blessed by this gift.
Being a mother is a huge responsibility. It is a responsibility that I strive to do with as much perfection as my imperfect personage can muster, yet I still fall so short. I need the gift of the Holy Ghost to help me. I cannot be with my children all of the time. I cannot keep them 100% safe all of the time, although I strive to. When I was a brand new mother, I felt the weight of motherhood so immensely. I held my sweet son and rocked him. He was so safe in my arms. I promised him that I would keep him safe. Most of the time he laid there peaceful and still, right next to my bed. This was going to be easy. Then, fast forward a few weeks later... my sweet newborn learned how to roll. He decided that he liked sleeping on his belly instead of safely on his back. Suddenly, I feared SIDS. I feared he'd stop breathing. I watched him all night one night. Every time he rolled to his stomach, I carefully rolled him back onto his back, over and over again. He was safe, but I was so tired. The next morning, I felt completely weary. Maybe keeping him safe wasn't going to be so easy after all. I remember having a doctor's appointment soon after that night. I told the doctor how tired I was, but how I knew how important it was for my baby to sleep on his back. I told him I didn't know what to do. He told me that all that was required of me was to make his bed as safe as possible and then trust that all would be okay. It was impractical for me to stay next to him and roll him back over all night long. My mom told me something similar. That's when I knew I couldn't keep my children safe all on my own. That night, I prayed that the Holy Ghost would be with me. I prayed that He would wake me up if I needed to tend to my child. It's a prayer that I have continued for 8 years now. Please Heavenly Father, help me listen to the promptings I receive so that I may be able to keep my children safe from both spiritual and temporal harm. Please help me to listen to the Holy Ghost as he guides my parenting efforts.
The other night I was praying likewise. Immediately, as I said those familiar and heartfelt words, I got the impression to check the windows. It wasn't a voice, rather a thought that clearly and distinctly told me to check the windows. I concluded my prayer and went to the children's rooms. I checked the windows. The window in the girl's room was open. I shut it and I locked it--safe. We have talked many times with our children about the dangers of having a second story window unlocked--especially one that has a bed right under it. All it would take is for someone to gently lean on the screen for them to fall out. We have tried finding a way to lock it, but our efforts haven't worked yet. The window is hidden by curtains and our children rarely pay them any attention. They know that they are to remain closed. So, I was surprised when I found it unlocked and partially open. I believe the thought was not random, rather that the Holy Ghost warned me, and that He helped me keep my children safe that night.
Sometimes, it is difficult for me to know whether or not the thoughts that come to me are my own thoughts or if they are thoughts and feelings impressed upon me through the Holy Ghost. One thing that I always try to do is act. Whether it's my own thoughts or not, if I act on positive impressions, then I am demonstrating to the Lord that I desire to faithful and I want Him to be able to trust me to act. Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment