Cubby did a couple of things recently that were funny. Our family got the dreaded Covid this past month, but it didn't seem to affect us hardly at all. Some of us lost our sense of smell for a few weeks, and we had a minor stuffing nose, and hot flashes, but I would say that it was very mild. It was so mild, in fact, that I exercised every day during quarantine. I had to be careful to hit the hiking trails when no one else really goes hiking, and I had to be sure that the trail accounted for social distancing. I took the kids hiking one day, when they were actually done with quarantine, and were allowed back at school. There was a miscommunication with the school and I decided to not send them because they freaked out and it was obvious that they needed a warning.
Cub isn't a fan of hiking. He gets into the mommy bubble and decides that he's done before the hike is actually done, which is a problem because I can't carry him down the mountain. He tested my patience so much that day. He decided that he was done when there was still a good 1.5 miles left to go. Joshua was kind enough to stay back with me, Hannah, and Caleb. Mercedes and Luke ditched us and headed for the car.
On this hike, Caleb liked to dramatically stop, kick off his shoes, and then sit down and cry about his shoes falling off. Feeling frustrated, I turned to Joshua and told him that he should call Mrs. Maher and tell her that she could expect Caleb to come to school that day because he was giving his mother a difficult time on the hike. Joshua didn't even have a phone, but he put his hand to his ear and pretended to call Caleb's teacher. Caleb believed him and increased his pace and was obviously distressed at the thought of going back to school. This worked off and on several times until Cub basically shut down and refused to move any further. That's when I got on my "bad dog" voice and told him that if he didn't beat Hannah to the parking lot, then he'd definitely be dropped off at school on the way home from the hike. That worked better than I could have thought! He TOOK OFF! Hannah (not knowing the deal) felt like her own speed was being questioned so she also took off, which angered Caleb because he is still not faster than Hannah. So, Joshua raced up to Hannah and explained the situation and told her to let Caleb win. She wasn't happy about it, but she did. Caleb was so fast that Joshua had a difficult time catching up to him when I began to worry about the busy parking lot. Hannah had to bite her tongue once we were in the car and Caleb began bragging about beating his older sister. Sheesh!
The other story involves the watching of Strawberry Shortcake, a show that Hannah picked out to the dismay of her younger brother. Caleb was very unhappy about having to watch a girl show, but he watched it anyway. The plot climaxed when Strawberry Shortcake and Blueberry were trapped in a cave under ground with a large corn on the cob. They were distressed because they did not know how they could possibly escape through the hole in the top because they were so little. I heard Caleb say to the tv, in a rather annoyed fashion, "move the corn on the cob to the hole and use it as a ladder!" Then, without missing a beat, almost as if Strawberry Shortcake could hear Caleb, the TV answered, "I know! Let's move the corn on the cob to the hole and climb it like a ladder!" Caleb threw his hands in the air, and said to no one, "they are SO stupid!"
No comments:
Post a Comment