Sunday, November 15, 2020

Pause, Take a Deep Breath, Do the Next Right Thing Part 2

 I didn't realize that I hadn't recorded my other experience. This one is a bit more personal to a child of mine, so I'll keep it more general than give the play by play of our conversation.

Joshua had done something stupid and tried to cover it up. I knew that he was guilty, and I knew he was lying to my face about it. I wasn't as upset about the actual thing he was getting in trouble for, I was more concerned about him lying to me about it. I didn't say anything though, I waited for him to decide to come and tell me the truth. Also, I didn't know what I was going to say or how I was going to handle the situation and so I wanted time to discuss the matter with Jon Mark. So, I sat silent in the office, just kind of waiting. It didn't take more than ten minutes before my sweet boy came running into the office and gave me the biggest bear hug that he's ever given me. You know what it was like? It was like a child running to the safety of his parent, and clinging to that parent as if your life depended on it. He was crying and upset. All of these things are very out of character for this son of mine. I think 7th grade feels heavy sometimes. He admitted to me that he had lied and tried to cover up the truth because he was afraid that he'd get in trouble. I don't think I handled the first part of this conversation all that well. Looking back on it, with 20/20 vision, I see myself as too emotional and perhaps I over-reacted when I cried along with him. I should probably be a little more composed in the future. However, once we hugged for a long while, we had a really good, spiritual conversation and it was one of those moments that I knew he had felt the stirrings of the gospel on a very personal level and made some very personal connections with the Savior.

I told Joshua that no one grows up to be wise without learning from some mistakes along the way. Our wisdom and growth occur when we learn from those mistakes. So, although we try our best to be obedient and keep all of the commandments, we will falter and fall as we make our way down the path. The important thing to do is to get back up, learn from it, and keep trying. I told him that mistakes were all apart of the Plan. Heavenly Father gave us agency, knowing that we would make mistakes. Knowing this, Heavenly Father provided a Savior for us, and isn't it wonderful that Christ became our Savior? Isn't it wonderful that Jesus came and atoned for our sins and gave us the gift of repentance? Repentance is truly a gift, and we need to use it. It's not all for nothing. It's glorious! As we talked, I could see the sorrow he felt for making his mistake, I could also see the gratitude that he had for Christ as he made a very personal connection of the atonement and how it relates to his own life. Christ wants to help lift us out of the pits we dig for ourselves so that we might have joy. Satan wants to keep us in that pit and feel miserable. Surely our Savior's yoke is easy and His burden is light, for He helps us carry it. I was thankful for this teaching opportunity with my son. I was thankful that our talk helped him understand the Savior's role a little more deeply and that it was over a smaller mistake rather than a big one.

I read in D&C 64:33-34:

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.

Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and the obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.  

I love that scripture! By small means of teaching moments, scripture study, prayer, FHE etc. we are helping out children build their own strong foundations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment