Well, we are in the middle of week three quarantine (but it feels like four because the kids started it with Spring Break). What does the world look like? It looks like men's hearts are failing them. There is a lot of fear, and hoarding, and panic. There's also a lot of goodness, and humor, and spiritually uplifting messages. Honestly, throughout it all, I have felt nothing of fear, just peace and I do feel spiritually lifted. My faith feels strong. I'm sure I'll have a few low points before any of this is truly over. Let's recap really quick:
We are in a pandemic. There is a sickness covering the land, COVID 19, and it will take many lives before it is all finished. Temples are closed, churches are closed, sporting events cancelled, school is cancelled, missionaries are sent home, and we are under orders to stay in our homes.
I have loved home church. The spirit is so prevalent, I really do feel as though me kids have gotten so much out of our sacrament meetings. It's been truly special. It's so intimate and personal. The kids spend a few days writing their talks, Jon Mark or I add a short lesson, the kids pick the songs, and who says the prayers. Jon Mark blesses the sacrament (I make the bread), Joshua passes the sacrament, we each have a part to play.
I have loved the slower pace of our evenings. There are no deadlines, no distractions. The kids are forced to play together and they have done a great job not arguing. We eat dinner outside in the backyard. They help me with chores and dinner. They do their school work (yesterday was a hard day with school work, but it went much more smoothly today).
I have missed seeing my extended family up close and in person. We have technology which makes staying in contact easier, and it has been a blessing. We have FaceTime phone calls, Marco Polo, texting, calling, video zoom meetings. It's not the same as face to face contact, but it's something.
I'm not sure how long this quarantine will last. With everything shutting down and missionaries being sent home, I feel impressed to add a few of my thoughts here.
Brigham Young said, ""All we have yet heard and all we have experienced is scarcely a preface to the sermon that is going to be preached. When the testimony of the elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, "Come home, I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth." All you now know can scarcely be called a sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction <...> The sea will heave beyond it's bounds, engulfing many cities. Famine will spread among the nations, and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom, and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands." (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 8, p. 123, July 15, 1860).
Is this the start of that? This year, the continent of Australia was literally on fire. There have been rumors of wars. Two weeks ago, Utah experienced a series of earthquakes. Yesterday Idaho had a 6.5 magnitude earthquake. The whole earth seems to be in commotion. I've touched nothing on the moral compass that has long been forgotten in our country and across the world. All lewd and disgusting acts have become celebrated openly and our poor children, the most vulnerable among us, are caught in a liberal agenda.
We are told that the second coming will come as a woman in travail. Contractions are building, we see the end drawing nigh, those who pay attention can see it. The world is in a downward spiral of moral decay and we can see it all happening. And, a merciful Father in Heaven gives us these sorts of opportunities to reassess whatever plans we have in place--like an expectant mother experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions, maybe she forgot to put an item or two into her hospital bag, maybe she's not as prepared as she'd like to be and uses the time to get even more prepared for her coming baby. This sickness and quarantine have helped me reassess my families situation. Are we prepared? I think we are. We probably could have prepared a better food storage, we have lots of wheat and canned fruits and veggies, we wouldn't have starved, but we certainly could have done a bit of a better job at accumulating water, and toilet paper (something I didn't really think about, but luckily I had quite a bit by chance). Our spiritual reservoirs are full, I think we have done a great job at teaching our children from the scriptures each night. Our testimonies and faith are strong. I think we passed the test, but I see where we could improve. Elder Oaks said that this was a trial run for the second coming. If we've been listening to the prophet and preparing spiritually and physically then we passed.
Our prophet, President Nelson said that difficult days are ahead. He said that this conference will be special and that if we spend the time to prepare for it, then God will prepare us to receive further light. He said that the time to act is now. That this is a hinge point in the history of the church and that our part is vital. He said that God is trusting us, all of us, to play an important role in the restoration of the gospel.He said that this is going to be an important year, and that he invites to be a major part in sharing the message of the ongoing Restoration of the Savior's gospel. That is strong language. As I read it again and again (April's Ensign issue, I posted the full article in my previous post), I felt excitement. The spirit bore witness to me that I was saved for this very time in which I am living. I feel like I was born to live this, I was born to do great things. I wanted to come to earth when the gospel was restored so that I could help bring others to the knowledge of the gospel. It says so in my patriarchal blessing. And so I am excited. I hope my faith never falters.
No comments:
Post a Comment