Friday, January 24, 2020

Taught By The Spirit

I was taught something today as I did Come Follow Me with my children. We were reading in 1 Nephi chapter 11. Let's take a look at the first few verses:

And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what adesirest thou?
And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father asaw.
And the Spirit said unto me: aBelievest thou that thy father saw the btree of which he hath spoken?
Before these verses, Lehi, Nephi's father, had just told Nephi about a great vision he had concerning the tree of life, the rod of iron and the great and spacious building. I imagine Nephi was very intrigued by his father's experience. As a result, he desired to see the vision for himself, not for lack of belief in what his father had seen, but because he wanted more knowledge and understanding. His response to the Spirit is affirmative. 
And I said: Yea, thou knowest that I abelieve all the words of my father.
When we read these words together, I asked my kids, "what can you infer about Lehi's relationship with his son Nephi based on Nephi's response?" They told me that Lehi and Nephi must have had a good relationship, that Nephi must have trusted his dad. I agreed. Nephi must have had a solid relationship with Lehi that was based on trust grown from positive interactions and experience. Without hesitation, Nephi tells the angel that he believes, not just some of the words of his father, but all the words of his father. We read on for several verses. The Spirit shows Nephi the virgin Mary and after Mary was carried away in the Spirit for a time, Nephi is shown the virgin Mary holding a baby. The baby, who we know to be Jesus Christ, was not to be born for another 600 years or so. The Spirit asks Nephi:
16 ... Knowest thou the acondescension of God?
After we read that verse, I stopped and asked the children to remember what we were just taught about Nephi's relationship with his earthly father. He believed all the words of his father. Then, I asked them to think about that as they read Nephi's response to the Spirit in the next verse. I asked them to pay attention to what inference they could make about Nephi's relationship with his Heavenly Father.
17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.

Nephi trusted his Heavenly Father. By experience and positive interaction, we can infer that Nephi had a pretty solid relationship with his Heavenly Father. He knew, he understood, he had a testimony of, Heavenly Father's love for His children. He had felt that love for himself, and he knew it to be true. That love was all he needed to be able to answer that even though he doesn't understand all of the workings of his Heavenly Father, he knew that because He loves His children, he could trust in his Heavenly Father's plan, no matter what. That statement was full of faith. 

I asked my children if they trusted their dad. Of course they do! Why do they trust him? Because they know that their earthly dad, Jon Mark, loves them more than anything. He has shown them time and time again that their best interest is his motivation for all he does. I asked Hannah, "if dad told you not to do something because but you didn't understand the reason why, would you do it?" She said no. Luke said, "you wouldn't do it because you know he loves you and wants you to be safe." When we understand that love is the motivation, it gets easier to trust. Like Nephi, we don't need to understand all of the workings of our Father in Heaven. We can trust and have faith that all He does for us "shall give us experience and shall be for our good". 

D&C Section 121& 122 is probably one of the most lovingly beautiful works of scripture ever written. As Joseph Smith is suffering in prison, he cries out like a child to his Father in Heaven. He is wondering why he must be tormented. Heavenly Father answers his prayer. He strengthens his testimony of the priesthood power. He reminds Joseph that He is in control. He reminds him that while the wicked may persecute and torment the righteous for a season, they will not have any power in the end. It's a sort of pep talk from his Dad.

And although their influence shall cast thee into trouble, and into bars and walls, thou shalt be had in ahonor; and but for a small bmoment and thy voice shall be more terrible in the midst of thine enemies than the fierce clion, because of thy righteousness; and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever. ...

And if thou shouldst be cast into the apit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the bdeep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee eexperience, and shall be for thy good.
Next, He reminds Joseph of the greatest act of love ever given or known in the history of mankind. He reminds Joseph that He had given the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ. 

The aSon of Man hath bdescended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
Because Christ descended below all things, all things that are wrong will be made right. Christ experienced it all. Heartache, loss, grief, torment, pain, anguish of body and soul--nothing is beyond our Savior's ability to succor or redeem. He experienced it all so that He could "hear the songs we cannot sing". 
Therefore, ahold on thy way, and the priesthood shall bremain with thee; for their cbounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy ddays are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, efear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.
We may not know all the answers, we aren't supposed to. But, we can catch hold upon the knowledge that our Heavenly Father loves loves His children. And, as we press forward with that knowledge lighting our paths, we can trust Him. Just as a child can understand the love of his earthly father, even more complete and perfect is the love of our Heavenly Father. It is my hope that when asked, "Do you believe the words of your Father?" All of us can answer an affirmative, "Yes! I believe!" 
I am grateful for the framework of the family. It is modeled after our eternal families. Within that framework, we learn what is to love and be loved. My relationship with my Heavenly Father is enhanced when I ponder upon my relationship with my earthly parents. I know they love me. I know they have always wanted what is best for me. I know that they want me to have all that they have. I know they are happy when I experience joy. I know they are sad when I am sad. I know that they have anxious concern over my well being and that my name has been lifted in prayer more times than they can count. There's also something to be said of becoming a parent myself. It deepens and enriches my understanding of a parents love and I point it right back to the love my Heavenly Parents have for me. 
Because I know they love me, I can trust.






No comments:

Post a Comment