Sunday, January 6, 2019

Christmas 2018


We had a wonderful Christmas break this year! It was such a neat experience to take the kids to IFly (which is an indoor skydiving simulation). My inlaws gave us gift cards last Christmas and we waited until Kevin and Courtny were in town again to go. The kids liked it, except many of them felt like the strong air current made it hard to breathe. I do have pictures of all of them flying, however it was really difficult to tell who was who. 

Our ward had a fun Hawaiian themed Christmas party, the kids enjoyed singing at it.

We had a great Christmas Eve party at my parents house. Even though she was in a cast, my mom really went all out on creating a fun, memory-filled evening. We had a white elephant gift exchange. Hannah was told that she was too young to play (we didn't want any tears), and she was upset. My mom told her that she needed her to babysit the babies while we played the game and she gave her a toy. Hannah was okay after that. We also did a nativity reinactment that evening. Taylor, Sean, and Lance were also in town. It was nice visiting with them.

We had a lovely Christmas morning with Jon Mark's parents and side of the family. The kids opened many presents. Caleb was thrilled that he got more "magamints" to play with. He was also very excited by Jessica's gift. It was a little Paw Patrol toy and when Cubby opened it, he exclaimed, "Yoho! Just what I wanted!" Then, he held it high above his head and said, "Champion!!"

Our kids probably got more gifts than they should have gotten, they all got bikes and other knick knacks, but their main gift was a trip to Disneyland. After they reopened their letters to Jesus that they left on the tree, they opened their other gifts, and ended with an envelop on the tree. Inside were letters scrammbled that spelled Disneyland. Luke guessed it first and started jumping up and down with excitement. The other kids were in disbelief. They had been told for so long that it was too expensive and so they really didn't believe it. Joshua thought that Disneyland meant we were giving them a new Disney movie. LOL! Hannah and Cub don't really know what Disneyland is, I don't think. 








Cub was so excited to fly. I think he thought he had to hold his breath for a whole minute and so he wouldn't fly for his second turn.



Maybe I am wrong, but I thought Mer looks a little like me in this picture.

















This picture is probably my favorite!!



























Joshua wanted cash from Jessica, but she couldn't just give him cash. So, she made him unwrap many boxes, and go on a long drawn out treasure hunt before giving it to him.



Jess gave Mer this beautiful Zelda costume.


Jm is growing a beard! I like it!



A decade out of order, but this picture is JM's favorite picture of me. When we were newly weds, I cut this picture out and placed it on his dash in his car so that when he missed me, he'd see me. The sun warped it so bad that he couldn't see my face anymore. It made him distressed, so I searched and searched and found the second copy that he didn't know existed. It made his day. He loves the expression on my face, that is what makes it his favorite. 


Hannah looked so cute in her tutu and Mercede's crown that I took several pictures of her. She looked like a fairy princess. I took some of the other kids too, and I texted them to our parents along with the Native American names my kids gave themselves. Joshua is Morning Soldier because he likes the morning hours when the house is quiet and he has time to himself, he always has liked those hours. And, soldier because he is both brave and intrigued by battle storied and history. Mercedes gave herself the name of Heart Breaker, but I renamed her Tender Flame because she is tender and very thoughtful but is also very firey. Luke gave himself the name of Brave Stone for obvious reasons. Hannah is Sunshine Dancer because she is usually a burst of sunshine and she LOVES to dance. Cub I named Wind River because he is strong like the wind and ever changing like the river. I am Beautiful Angel because every night before I go to sleep, I tell Jon Mark that I am his beautiful angel. So, I figured that must be my Native American name. Jon Mark was the original Brave Stone, but Luke stole that one from him. So I renamed him Cheveyo, which is Spirit Warrior. His patriarchal blessing helped me think of that one. But, also, the warrior spirit of bravery, chivalry, and morality are all great qualities of his and have been for eons of time. He is a great protector and I feel safe when he is around. He also has such a strong gallant, undaunted sense of heroics. So, that is why I named him that.















I know, a random picture of my cheerleaders. But, it's a new pyramid that they learned :)


Joshua had been selected to sing in a group of three for his class informance. He did a really great job and has a great voice. I told him that he could use his voice and other talents and spiritual gifts to help him bring others to Christ.


This is not a snuggle session caught on camera. These two brothers are wrestling like they always do.



JM got a girly XS shirt in the white elephant game.
























































Here are a couple of other things I want to remember:

I had told the kids a long time ago that if they caught one of the many bunnies that run wild all around our neighborhood, then they could keep it. I told them this knowing full well that the bunnies are too fast and they'd never be able to catch one. Well, they remembered that. Luke found a bunny at the playground, snuck up on it, and snatched it up before it could run away. He didn't know it at the time, he thought that the bunny was sleeping, but it was actually dead. Some older kids told him to put it down and they used a stick to carry it away and put it into the bushes.

Cub is getting older and bigger. He adored Joshua and wants to be just like him. He is always worried that we may leave Joshua behind accidentally and gets really worked up if Joshua doesn't hurry to the car. He has me comb his hair like Joshua, he wants to be handsome like Joshua, not cute. He is always asking Joshua to play with him. His affection for Joshua is so obvious that it makes the other kids, Mercedes especially, a little jealous. The other day Cub had colored in a book. I knew he had, I saw it as I was walking into the room. But, when he noticed my presence he quickly hid it under the bed and lied about what he was doing. His face was so funny. We did have a talk.

Hannah loves her daddy daughter dates as much as Mercedes does. Jon Mark had recently taken Mer on a date and left Hannah behind because it wasn't her turn. Hannah had to wait a whole week for her turn and asked every day why it wasn't her turn yet. In the car, Joshua or Mercedes (I can't remember which kid) said that he had a riddle. What is always coming but never arrives? The answer was obviously Tomorrow, but, Hannah bursted out loud and excitedly, "My daddy daughter date!" It was funny. I laughed out loud. 

Mercedes babysat all by herself tonight while we were at priesthood preview with Joshua. She did a great job! She is such a responsible little lady. She is still a very strong rule keeper and has difficulty with spirit of the law versus letter of the law. There is little gray area. As a result, she has great will power. She passes up treats easily if we tell her only one treat for example. She enjoys playing Just Dance with Hannah and fiddling around on the piano I got for Christmas. Here is a song she wanted me to write down for her.

Have you heard a story of a little baby? He was born in Bethlehem, wise men visited Him. Shepherds came to Him, angels told them that the King was born. He grew up and was kind, we can be like Him. He was our Savior, He was Jesus. And, He came down from Heaven so that we can be like Him.

Mercedes sure loves pretty dresses, I think she really liked the blue dress we got her for Christmas. It went all of the way down to the floor. She is a sweet girl. She likes to snuggle me and talk to me at bedtime. She likes to hold my hand and lean on me. I hope I am doing a good job fulfilling her needs. Sometimes I worry about a child here and there as I try to balance my time so that I am giving enough of myself to each of them. It changes from day to day on who I worry about, but today it's Mercedes. She is growing so fast. I hope I tell her enough how much I love her. I hope I am giving her enough positive comments and love. She is growing too fast.

Luke bore his testimony today and told how he comforted Michelle when he gave her an ornament to put on her Gavin tree. Jesus comforts us too. He wrote the following song and asked me to write it down for him as well. 

Oh, now what I can say, the things in my mind overflowing. I don't know how to say the true words and the faithful. What will I say, what will I say? Things bursting in my mind. I can't think of anything. I know how I feel, I know how you feel. The questions going on I will answer all of them. Oh, what will I say? I will say the nice words, oh---what---can---I---say?

Luke is very close to the spirit a lot of times, and he can identify when he is feeling the Holy Ghost. The other day, I had some Sunday type music playing. The song "There is Peace in Christ" came on. Luke came to me and said that the song makes him cry. Caleb added, "this song makes me happy". It was obvious that both had felt the spirit testify to them of the truthfulness of the words in that song, and they both expressed it differently. 

The other day I was wearing a dress that I wore on my first date back when I was a week shy of 16 years old. Luke said, "Mom, what was the name of the boy you went on that date with? I need to know his name!" I told him that it was a boy named Philip Niu. Luke, who loves me VERY VERY much, said, "I hate him, he is a bad guy!" I told him that Philip was actually a good friend to me and was very nice, he restated that he didn't like him. Turns out, Luke was jealous. He thought that somehow Philip taking me on a date so many years ago had somehow taken me away from Jon Mark and him. I did think it was funny though.

Joshua and Luke wrote a poem together. I don't know if I recorded it or not yet, so I will just do it again, Luke had the words, and Joshua helped make his ideas rhyme. I was impressed by the way that they worked together and also by the content. So much truth in it.

When I was born, my spirit came to earth.
I was comforted and I knew my worth.
My parents taught me the way that is right, the way of the light is the path that is right.
I grew up to be seven years old, strong and healthy and very bold. 
I went to church and had a good time,
I learned about Jesus through songs that rhyme.
Jesus was baptised, and died on the cross.
My sins were here, but now they're lost.

Joshua is being ordained a deacon in two weeks. Our prophet, President Nelson, lowered the age requirement for deacons and Young Women's. Those turning 11, can now go to the temple to do baptisms and the boys can become deacons. This change is one of many recently. I can feel the exciting energy of the Lord hastening His work. President Nelson said that this generation of 11 year olds had been specifically prepared and set apart for this change long before they came to earth and that they are some of the most valiant spirits that the Lord has sent to the earth. They are ready to join the ranks in the Lord's army and help Him in His work of saving souls. Joshua is ready and excited. He told me that he doesn't like interviews, but after the interview with Bishop Gordon, he wanted to do more interviews with Bishop Gordon. He really enjoyed his time with him. I can't remember his exact wording, but what he said to me made me think that he felt the Spirit of the Holy Ghost in his interview and that is why he enjoyed it so much. I've seen Joshua mature and grow over these past couple of weeks as he prepares himself for the Aaronic priesthood and the opportunity to go to the temple. It's exciting! Today, my family was split onto two rows. I turned around during a hymn and saw all three of my older children singing the hymn without me having asked them to. It made my heart happy.

Life is good to us. It really is. I have been so blessed. I don't know how I can possibly have bad days ever. I have been so blessed, I should never ever have a bad day. All I need to do is count my blessings for a short amount of time to realize that I really have nothing to complain about ever. Truly the Lord has blessed me. I have tried to give Him more credit throughout the day. I don't say an official prayer, but periodically, when I live in the moment and recognize just how fortunate I am, I solftly say (out loud) "I am thankful for this moment, thank you Heavenly Father." 

I am so grateful for my many blessings. 2018 was a good year for our family. 





No comments:

Post a Comment