Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmastime and Rejoicing!

Christmas is two days away and my heart is filled with rejoicing.  Our family has been blessed in more ways than I can count, and my life is full of joy.  Being a wife to Jon Mark is so easy.  He makes marriage fun and exciting and I have never found myself tiring of his company.  After almost ten years of marriage, I think he would agree, that we still feel like newlyweds.  My children are a true source of joy.  Sometimes they are a handful, like today at the store when I had two kids in the basket, one strapped in the front, and one following behind me kicking the shoes off of my feet, not to mention the one that is currently inside of me, I'm sure we must have looked a little like a circus.  But, each night as I check on their sleepy little heads, my heart is full of love and joy.  I get why our Heavenly Father would want us to multiply and replenish the earth, so that we may find joy in our posterity.  My husband, my children, they are my joy.

Mercedes taught me something the other day.  She declared (with utter shock) that a friend of hers (Sophia) at school does not go to church.  With wide eyes she told me that she now has an opportunity to be a missionary to her friend.  She went to her room and looked for a couple of books that she could bring to school to show her friend.  The two books she picked were illustrated church books.  One was the scripture stories, and the other was a book about how children can be missionaries.  I don't know if she actually remembered to bring them to school or not, but she sure was eager.  The next day, I called for Mercedes all over the house.  When I opened the door to the "under the stairs closet" I found her kneeling up and praying.  I left her there and closed the door.  When she came out, she said, "Mom, do you know why I was praying? I was praying for Sophia because the Holy Ghost told me to." I learned from my five year old that when we feel prompted to do something, we should do it.  We shouldn't do it half-heartedly, she didn't just say a quick prayer, she went and found a quiet place and offered a sincere prayer for her friend. 

Joshua has reached a stage lately where he will talk to younger children like an adult would.  For instance, if Luke comes up to him to tell him something that maybe Joshua already knows but Luke was excited to tell, instead of saying, "I already know that". He would say, "Oh, I see, that's great!"  He also went to Santa's Secret Workshop at school and spent his own money buying his siblings a present.  I felt bad that he didn't get something for himself with his $6.00, so I gave him a couple of more dollars to buy something for himself.  He came home with a present for me and Jon Mark, and nothing for himself.

Luke loves playing with Mercedes recently.  They play house and he is usually her puppy or her baby.  He likes to set up a beach party on his bedroom floor (he lays out blankets to cover the carpet) and then he and Mercedes imagine that they are on the beach with carnival rides and have a great time with their imaginations.  Luke feels his emotions 100%.  When he is mad he is furious and when he is happy he is really happy.  He will often tell me that he loves me so much and gives his affection spontaneously and fully. 

Hannah is in a new stage where she doesn't eat her candy or treat, she just holds it tightly in her little fists and gets super messy and sticky.  She won't let you take it away without pitching a huge fit.  So, whoever says  the cliché that "it was as easy as taking candy away from a baby" clearly has never tried taking it away from Hannah.  She's a cutie.  She loves to snuggle Jon Mark and dance on tables.  She loves the picture of herself and Mercedes hanging up in her room and points to it over and over again while saying their names.  She's into everything and loves pretty much everyone.  She doesn't like being left behind and thinks she is bigger than she is. 

Like I said, my family brings me joy.

The other day, I was watching a video about the nativity story.  I saw Mary looking at baby Jesus.  Her expression was so perfect.  It was one of love, wrapped up in a feeling of utter amazement.  Shortly after, the angels appeared and were singing triumphantly.  It gave me chills and it just sort of hit me in a new way.  How we must have rejoiced when our Savior was born!  I imagine we were present there and looked upon our Savior as a baby and rejoiced.  Everything depended on Him.  Our salvation depended on Him.  Everything that meant anything was completely and utterly dependent upon Jesus Christ coming to earth to live for us and die for us.  How we must have rejoiced when he was born!  Neal A. Maxell said, "The wondrous and glorious Atonement was the central act in all of human history. It was the hinge on which all else that finally matters turned." The story of Christmas, the earthly mission of Christ, began in a stable, as he was born to an obedient woman named, Mary. And, angels came, along with shepherds and wise men, who knew their Lord and loved Him. 

We, all of us, knew we needed a Savior.  We chose to follow His plan.  We understood that His sacrifice was needed.  Through His humble birth, He became that first gift of Christmas, given to us by our Heavenly Father who gave His only begotten Son, so "that whosever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life". 

So, as I watched those angels and heard their songs of praise, my own heart rejoiced.  I placed myself there, in that stable, amongst the others who so loved Him, who fall short and need Him, who rise just to fall again over and over all the while calling upon His name who is able to save and rescue a soul as mine.  Today I rejoice, and I call upon my Savior yet again to perfect me and make me fit for the kingdom of God.

I am filled with the spirit of Christmas.  And, that is what this season is all about.   

No comments:

Post a Comment